Thursday, July 19, 2018

Devotion 4.12/166: James 4:14-17: Tomorrow Flooding

My oldest daughter and I recently completed a cross Canada drive. We drove for thousands of kilometers from Toronto to Port Alberni, BC, on Vancouver Island. One of our stops along the way was Swift Current, Saskatchewan. We used to be posted to Swift Current so my daughter and I both still have friends in that community. We each spent the day driving around town and visiting our old friends and dropping into our old corps and thrift store. It was great. The sun was out. It was a perfect day. In the morning we continued on our way. We saw a pretty big funnel cloud off in the distance (I don't know if it touched down anywhere). We ran into some hail - literally the size of baseballs (I was afraid for my windshield). And Swift Current flooded. It was quite something. Yesterday Swift Current was as hot, dry, and nice as anyone could imagine. Tonight when I looked at my news feed I saw pictures of how parts of the city were underwater. This surprised me and reminded me of James 4:14 & 15:

13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 

This is true. We never know what tomorrow will bring. We need to live for the Lord today; therefore let us not put off the good we can do until tomorrow but rather let us do that good today.

photo from the Southwest Booster on-line (July 10, 2018)
More daily blogs at
More articles, sermons, and papers at
www.sheepspeak.com