Thursday, July 19, 2018

Devotion 3.48/149: Numbers 14:26-29 and Philippians 2:12: Grumbling Soldiers

The other day a good soldier came into my office as I am  about to be transferred and he asked me to interrogate him. He wanted me to help him discern if he has been a good soldier and a good christian. Another officer had done this for him in the past. It was important to him so I agreed.

I complimented the soldier on his musical abilities and willingness to perform for the Army at food banks, soup kitchens, talent nights, and Sunday services. I encouraged him in his faithfulness in participating in our 7am prayer walks around our community every week. I told him I was pleased with his regular reading of the Word. I asked him how he was progressing at managing his temper. He said he was doing fine.

The very next day this same friend called me to complain against God and his fellow saints because he was not receiving the sort of attention he felt he deserved. He felt that he was being left out of ministry opportunities and was quite upset. We followed up on our conversation from the day before and, exploring his grievances and his relationship to the Lord and others, I asked him why he was grumbling against people and the Lord. We drew his attention to Exodus; my friend was more than familiar with the Exodus story. Why would he want to do an extra lap around the desert of his perceived tribulation? Would he like his grumbling to keep him away from peace and happiness the way it kept a generations of Israelites out of the Promised Land? Philippians 2:12 reminds us to do everything without grumbling. This is the only way that we can have true peace and contentment.

That is my hope for us today that indeed we will experience the love, peace, and contentment that only comes when we set aside our own grumbling and complaining. Today, let us  put that grumbling aside and choose love and forgiveness instead.
More daily blogs at
More articles, sermons, and papers at
www.sheepspeak.com