Thursday, May 3, 2018

Romans 12:15, 1 Thessalonians 5:18:, John 16:33: Comfort for yesterday, peace for today and hope for tomorrow.

Presented to the Maxwell Meighen Centre, 02 May 2018 by Captain Michael Ramsay

To view a 2019 version of this sermon, please click here: https://sheepspeaks.blogspot.com/2019/04/romans-1215-1-thessalonians-518-john.html

Hello, I am Captain Michael Ramsay. My wife Susan and I are the Officers at 614 Warehouse Mission here at 77 River Street and 252 Parliament at College. We have three daughters.  One is finishing grade 11; one, grade 10, and one is completing grade two. They are or will be soon 17, 16, and 8. We’ve been here for 3 years now. And the end of April every year in the Salvation Army they announce which officers are moving and where they are moving to. This year our name came up and so in two months we will all be moving to Port Alberni on Vancouver Island. This is kind of neat because I grew up in Victoria and Susan grew up in Port Alberni. It is like going home for her. It has been 15 years since we left the Island so none of my kids remember BC or the Island. My youngest was born in Saskatchewan actually and that brings me to one of the verses that I want to look at today.

Romans 12:15: Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

We are all familiar with the hockey players, coach, trainer, that perished in Saskatchewan recently. I read this verse, Romans 12:15, as I was trying to come to terms with the tragic bus crash that happened in Saskatchewan. We lived on the prairies for almost a decade but still I honestly did not expect to feel the amount of grief and sadness that I did. Friends of mine lost friends and family members in the crash. My heart breaks for them. My heart breaks for the young people and their families.

As I led prayer time here in Toronto that Sunday after the accident, I had to stop more than once to regain my composure. Songs at the Sunday service would remind me of people whom I knew would be grieving. Images would flash before my mind. I used to live right near where  that bus crash happened: I used to live in Nipawin and pastor churches in both Tisdale and Nipawin. I would drive that same stretch of highway where the accident occurred every week, many times a week.

One Spring afternoon, at about the same time of day, at about the same time of year, I was driving that same stretch of highway with my two young daughters in the car. Our car crashed and rolled over and we were left dangling in the air. We were okay. I, disoriented, even wandered out into the middle of the highway at one point. We were in shock but we were okay.

I can't imagine the family members, friends and others standing recently on that same stretch of road - and their loved ones aren't okay.

My mind races. I recall a house fire in Nipawin that killed two very young children who were classmates of my daughters and my having to speak to the press. I think of those families then in Nipawin and the families now in Humbolt. My heart hurts. I recall an explosion and fire in Nipawin, right behind my office, as well. I recall standing next to people dying on the sidewalk. I recall walking the streets talking and praying with everyone I saw. I recall organizing food for those who needed it and providing comfort when I could. This time I am thousands of miles away and do not do any of that.

I recall my friends in Swift Current. The bus crash of 1986 is still in people's memories and their hearts. I have one friend who was a first responder and has told me many of times about that incident. I see my friends grieving. I can do nothing but pray and pray I shall for peace and comfort for all who are grieving even as I, though separated by thousands of miles, mourn with those who mourn. #HumboltStrong

And then while we were still coming to turns with that bus crash, the horrific van crash happened here in Toronto. When that fellow ran down and killed all of those people on Yonge Street, just a few subway stops North of where we live.

This just passed Sunday I joined the Toronto community in supporting those impacted by last Monday’s tragedy at the #TorontoStrongVigil. The event was hosted in collaboration with community groups Faith in the City and the Toronto Area Interfaith Council. I am a part of those groups. It was a real blessing to be a part of that remembrance, that vigil. Many people shared prayers, songs, words of encouragement and comfort.

One of the things that really resonated with me as I was standing with community members and later clergy from other denominations and faiths was a spirit of gratefulness.

1 Thessalonians 5:18: Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

People were grateful for the support of others. People were grateful for their community. People were grateful for the response, the love, the giving, and the forgiving of others. We were thankful.

This gratefulness, this thankfulness to God is one thing we can offer at this time as a community to our community in need. We can offer comfort and support to those of us who are healing through giving thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

And this is the case for all of us. None of us, I don’t think, leads a life free of mourning or tragedy. None of us, I don’t think, leads a life free of trials and tribulations. None of us, I don’t think, leads a life free of troubles and struggles.

John 16:33: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

This, I think is the message of hope for me today. There is trouble in the world. There has always been trouble in the world and there will probably for many years to come still be trouble in the world. Sad things happen. We know it is true. Jesus told us so; the Bible tells us so; and we all have lived and will live through difficult times but, you know what? Tomorrow the sun will come up and the day will continue and we can take heart because Jesus has already overcome all of our troubles in the world; so we can turn to him and experience comfort for yesterday, peace for today and hope for tomorrow.

Years ago after my own accident on that same stretch of highway that the Broncos bus was travelling was quite revealing to me. On a Sunday, coming back from Church, I hit black ice and rolled over and wrote off my car. That week when I travelled that same road, in a different car, I pulled over at that same spot. I noticed the sun was out and their was no sign of accidents, or black ice or anything of the sort.

God promises that He will be with us in the very midst of our struggles and our suffering. And if there are any of us here who have never prayed to him for our eternal salvation and comfort in the thick of everything we experience in this life, I invite you to chat with me after the service here or Ray at any time and we can pray with you. For God promises that He will never leave us nor forsake us. He can get us through anything and He give us, like we said, comfort for yesterday, peace for today and a true, real, solid hope for the tomorrow.

Let us pray.

Benediction from the Bible: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

More articles, sermons, and papers at


Daily blogs at