Saturday, June 15, 2019

Matthew 6:25-34: WHU's Blowing Bubbles

Presented to The Alberni Valley Men's Breakfast, 16 June 2019 
by Captain Michael Ramsay

A few years ago we were in London England to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the founding of The Salvation Army. We enjoyed the Boundless conference and then stayed to tour England and Scotland a little bit afterwards. It was a good time. It didn't start out that way though.

When we arrived in the UK, our hotel reservations had evaporated: we had no place to stay. Our credit cards and bank cards didn't work: we couldn't access our money. We were calling my mom half way across the world to try to help us access our money and help us find a place to stay - but our phones didn't work properly either. We tracked down other Salvation Army Officers. It all worked out in the end but it was a stressful beginning.

One day, early in the Boundless conference, I had to leave early with my teenage daughter. She was old enough to stay alone but she wasn't confident enough to take the Metro on her own. She wasn't feeling well. I went to help her get to the hotel room. God knew how stressed I was as I was tempted to worry about everything that was happening.

It was at this time that God gave me a gift. I noticed that there were a lot of people on the metro wearing claret and blue. When I was still in elementary school, my cousin bought me a vlaret and blue West Ham United jersey. I had watched them win the FA Cup and, with my cousin;s encouragement, I became a fan. This was what the people were wearing - the uniform of my favourite EPL team.

I took my daughter to the apartment, got her settled and then I decided to follow all of the people in the West Ham kits. I got off the metro where they did and followed them to Upton Park. My credit card wasn't working but I had 10 pounds in my pocket and that is exactly what a ticket cost. That was exactly what the last ticket cost. I bought the last ticket left. It was a seat right on the centre line. It was the first day their new coach arrived at the stadium and West Ham won and kept a clean sheet as well.

That was when the trip turned around for me, God gave me this gift. He let me know that I could stop worrying about hotel rooms, credit cards, cell phones, where we would sleep, how wee would eat and other struggles. God was with us and He encouraged me with this gift.

Today, I encourage you not to worry about whatever your struggles are. God loves you and He knows what you need and He will provide.

Does a time come to mind when has the Lord offered you the comfort and encouragement that He offered me in London that day?
More daily blogs at
More articles, sermons, and papers at