Saturday, April 21, 2018

Romans 12:15: Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

Presented to River Street Cafe, 20 April 2018

I read this verse as I was trying to come to terms with the tragic bus crash in Saskatchewan. I honestly did not expect to feel the amount of grief and sadness that I do. Friends of mine have lost friends and family members. My heart breaks for them. My heart breaks for the young people and their families.

As I led prayer time here in Toronto the other Sunday, I had to stop more than once to regain my composure. Songs at the Sunday service would remind me of people whom I knew would be grieving. Images would flash before my mind. I used to live in Nipawin and pastor churches in both Tisdale and Nipawin. I would drive that same highway where the accident happened every week, many times a week. One Spring afternoon, at about the same time of day, at about the same time of year, I was driving that same stretch of highway with my two young daughters in the car. Our car crashed and rolled over and we were left dangling in the air. We were okay. I, disoriented, even wandered out into the middle of the highway at one point. We were in shock but we were okay.

I can't imagine the family members, friends and others standing recently on that same stretch of road - and their loved ones aren't okay.

My mind races. I recall a house fire in Nipawin that killed two very young children who were classmates of my daughters and my having to speak to the press. I think of those families then in Nipawin and the families now in Humbolt. My heart hurts. I recall an explosion and fire in Nipawin, right behind my office, as well. I recall standing next to people dying on the sidewalk. I recall walking the streets talking and praying with everyone I saw. I recall organizing food for those who needed it and providing comfort when I could. This time I am hundreds of miles away.

I recall my friends in Swift Current. The bus crash of 1986 is still in people's memories and their hearts. I have one friend who was a first responder and has told me many of times about that incident. I see my friends grieving. I can do nothing but pray and pray I shall for peace and comfort for all who are grieving as I, even though separated by thousands of miles, mourn with those who mourn.

www.sheespeak.com

 More daily blogs at